Back in March I was working with Visual Studio, developing an ASP.NET MVC project, and everything was going fine until one day I tried to load the solution I was working on, and when loading one specific project I started seeing an error.
Microsoft Visual Studio
Failed to create extension manager for the target platform 'Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlAzureDatabaseSchemaProvider'.
Just given the error, it leads one to believe that the problem has to do with SQL or Azure or Databases, or anything similar. I googled around, and couldn’t find any kind of resolution. Most advice said to re-install various components of Visual Studio like the Azure SDK which I tried multiple times to no avail. Another bit of advice was to delete the *.suo files, and try re-cloning the repository. Deleting the *.suo files didn’t help but when re-cloning the repository I started having even more problems because suddenly SourceTree was bugging out and crashing for me too (remember this fact, it becomes relevant later in the article)! At this point I knew something had to be up, something really bizarre – I dug deeper.
If you’ve done some work with Azure then you may have wondered if it is possible to run a local version of Azure for development and testing instead of having to go to the cloud for those needs. The answer is that it’s not only possible, but (surprisingly?) easy and painless.
It looks as though I’m on a sharepoint-roll; this time I will explain how I put together a custom web part which essentially extends the existing functionality of a list view (SPListView) to execute a custom filter, which in my case required the list view to display only items made by the current user AND users in the same group as the current user (based on a group filter). So for example, let’s say you have a list of grades for a class that has group assignments. I want the list view to display only my own grades and my groupmates’ grades but ignore all others (not as a security thing, but as just a filter thing since I’d have read only access to all the grades in this example). (more…)
Recently one of our customers needed a way to move incoming claims from SiteMinder/ADFS into the user properties of the person logging in. In our case, it was critical to have the e-mail claim be passed into the “Work E-mail” user property on a private SharePoint portal. While it is true that there exists built-in functionality in SharePoint 2010 that will map user properties from Active Directory to user properties and synchronize them, it will not work for the ADFS authentication claims. In our case the users we were concerned with were not the users on our customer’s active directory server, but on an external server. For this reason, any incoming claims, including the e-mail claim, were just simply ignored by SharePoint.
Microsoft advised us to develop a custom claims provider, and the task ultimately came down to me. This was entirely alien to me as I had never done anything like this before, but I managed to pull it together in about a week’s time. Given how much documentation I had to search through to achieve this seemingly simple goal, I would like to save someone out there the trouble by disclosing some of the techniques I used to achieve this. (more…)