Archive: July 2015

Unit Testing Strategies in Node.js

In the world of JavaScript development, it’s easy to get lost and do things wrong, especially when it comes to unit testing. JavaScript is a powerful language, but it is also one where it is incredibly easy to do things the wrong way, and the utmost care must be taken to ensure you don’t end up with a situation where you have no hope to correct yourself. In this article, I’ll explain my experiences with unit testing in Node.js, specifically for a web application using express and MongoDB via mongoose, what I’ve learned and what I believe is the “right” philosophy of how to organize your code to make it testable.

(more…)

65535 files is one too many

Back in March I was working with Visual Studio, developing an ASP.NET MVC project, and everything was going fine until one day I tried to load the solution I was working on, and when loading one specific project I started seeing an error.

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
---------------------------
Failed to create extension manager for the target platform 'Microsoft.Data.Tools.Schema.Sql.SqlAzureDatabaseSchemaProvider'.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Just given the error, it leads one to believe that the problem has to do with SQL or Azure or Databases, or anything similar. I googled around, and couldn’t find any kind of resolution. Most advice said to re-install various components of Visual Studio like the Azure SDK which I tried multiple times to no avail. Another bit of advice was to delete the *.suo files, and try re-cloning the repository. Deleting the *.suo files didn’t help but when re-cloning the repository I started having even more problems because suddenly SourceTree was bugging out and crashing for me too (remember this fact, it becomes relevant later in the article)! At this point I knew something had to be up, something really bizarre – I dug deeper.

(more…)